Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Is Rahul Gandhi likely to become the next Prime Minister of India ?

One of the engrossing trail of news snippets that float across the vast web of the internet, is anti-corruption drive by the civic society in India. I have instinctively identified this one as different from all others of the past, unless one takes into account the mass movement initiated by Mahatma Gandhi in the second decade of the last century in India, about independence from British rule.

But I write this particular piece not about the anti-corruption issue per se, but about what appears to me as an off-shoot of it – a promotion of Rahul Gandhi as the heir apparent to take the seat of the Prime Minister.

Just to lead up to the event – Manmohan Singh has long been perceived as an impeccably honest and efficient man, but without much of a political base, and a firm follower of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty. But lately, things have turned sour against him in public eye, primarily because it has been disclosed that he was at least aware of the mega-scale corruptions that was happening around him, even if he himself did not partake in it. Subsequently, more and more people seem to suspect that Manmohan Singh’s clean image might be just that, an image, and that it is not possible for him to be clean while having his job and being associated with the people he needs to work with and listen to, day in and day out.

While the anti-corruption movement and the associated drama will run its own course, there has been tentative comments coming out of Digvijay Singh, and grabbing national headlines, where he claims that Rahul Gandhi is all of 41 years old and should now take the helm of the country as a Prime Minister.

I have watched this for a few days. Then I saw another headline, where Mamata Bannerjee was asked about inclusion or non-inclusion of the Prime Minister in the ambit of the Lokpal Bill (she did not seem to like the idea of including the PM and her reason seemed rather weak to me – but then she partially back tacked and stated that she is alright either way). She was then asked about the recent rumor about Rahul Gandhi being moved to occupy the PM’s chair. The Bengal Chief Minister stated that it was an internal matter for Congress and the Gandhi family to resolve, and added that her relationship with Rajeev was good as is with Sonia and her two kids, and so she will support whatever decision Congress makes.

While I can see that she has an alliance with Congress, I found that answer quite extra-ordinary. I would have expected Ms Bannerjee to respond by stating her opinion of if the proposed candidate was qualified for the job of a Prime Minister, rather than her relationship with the Gandhi family. I did not think Ms Bannerjee would be so callous as to imply that relationships are more important than qualification, in supporting a selection process for a Prime Minister.

In all this talk however, I did not see a meaningful analysis anywhere, about Rahul Gandhi’s qualification, track record, ability, world view, and what he thinks he can bring to the table, should he become the Prime Minister.

I find this lack of analysis, and a lack of concern about it, rather disturbing.

Then, I saw another message, this time out of Dr. Subramaniam Swami – that Sonia Gandhi and both her children are legally disqualified to hold the Prime Minister’s post. Now, before readers start blasting Subramaniam Swami for his own issues, I wonder if there is anybody that can throw light on the comment itself. Is Rahul Gandhi legally disqualified? On what ground ? I would have liked Dr. Swami to jot down the exact clause, either in the Indian Constitution, or someplace else, that invalidates Rahul Gandhi being a Prime Minister. I would have expected Dr. Swami to give the details himself, since he made that comment on Facebook. I have asked him or his followers to please let me know the legal details involved.

Meanwhile, I thought I would ask the reader here, if he can educate me on the legal issue of who can or cannot be the Prime Minister of India.

I have heard stray comments that Sonia Gandhi was an Italian citizen when Rahul Gandhi was born, and that apparently makes Rahul Gandhi an Italian at birth. There are also some comments about dual citizenship and some reciprocity not matching between India and Italy.

For example, I have heard (but am not sure if true) that, in India, a person who was born outside India and was of a different nationality, who later migrated to India and became an Indian citizen, is qualified to be the Prime Minister of India, but provided a reciprocity clause is accepted in the person’s original nation. This means, an Italian citizen who later became Indian, can be a Prime Minister of India, only if Italy does not disqualify a person from India that becomes Italian citizen, to be the democratic head of Italy. I am told that in Italy does not fulfil this criteria. So, I am told, Sonia Gandhi or anyone who was born as an Italian citizen, will be disqualified to be a Prime Minsiter in India. But, is this true? Does it apply to Rahul also ? I just need to know the law – and not personal opinions. I wonder if anyone can help.

I would also like to see some serious analysis of what Rahul Gandhi is about, other than his family lineage.

Perhaps one day I shall know a little more about India than I do now.

No comments: